Thursday, April 8, 2010

Clovers, Thistles and Chamomile- Oh My


I am sitting here enjoying a cup of Red Clover Tea. And tomorrow I will have thistle tea. And some lemon grass tea.
"Red clover's constituents are thought to stimulate the immune system. (It has
been a traditional ingredient in many formulas for cancer.) Red clover has also
been used to treat coughs and respiratory system congestion, because it also
contains resin. Resinous substances in plants have expectorating, warming, and
antimicrobial action. Red clover also contains the blood-thinning substance
coumarin. Coumarin is not unique to red clover; it is found in many other
plants, including common grass. In fact, the pleasant sweet smell of freshly cut
grass is due to the coumarin compounds. People on anticoagulant drugs such as
Coumadin should be cautious of using red clover, as the blood may become too
thin." -
How stuff works, Benefits of Red Clover
I made my tea in a jar, Letting it "steep" overnight, poured it in a cup, then nuked the cup. I was going to add agave but found I liked it as is. Here is the benefits of Clover Tea according to How Stuff Works.

Thistle tea: Thistle Tea may be used for treatment of digestive problems, like gas, constipation and stomach upset and may be used to detoxify the body. Thistle Tea may have some liver and gallbladder support properties, though there is a need for more research in this area.
I am also trying desperately to grow my own chammomile- known to aid in sleeping, and improves liver function and kidney function. And it is relaxing.

I don't know if drinking clover tea or thistle tea is answer to all maladies, but I do know it is easy to grow/forage, all I know is I am constantly looking for substitutes for coffee and tea. And all those honey bee's can't be wrong! Amd I do know that clover is an excellent cover crop for your garden. There is a side benefit- you plant clover, it puts nitrogen in your garden, attracts honeybees (they love clover flowers), and you get tea!

No comments: