Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weekly Challenge Update

My Matsu Apple tree


Sharon's Independence Days Challenge Week 23
Plant something: Planted the Matsu (or Crispin) Apple Tree in the backyard. Wasn’t planning on a regular apple tree, as I plan to plant a Columnar orchid


Prep something: Made stock for soup and froze


Harvest something: A few peas, carrots


Manage something: Chile made me clean out and organize my spice cabinet – well she didn’t make me- she “inspired me


Cook Something New: Made some cheese dips using Crunchy’s Cream Cheese as the base- They turned out great!

Shrimp Dip
1 cup of Cream Cheese
about ½ lb of salad shrimp about 1 cup
Seafood Sauce- about ½ cup
Stir all ingredients well, chill. Serve with Crackers or melba toast

Onion and Chive dip
1 cup of Cream Cheese
½ cup of chopped chives
One bunch of green onion tops
Mix all together. Re-Chill in Frigidaire. Serve with Crackers or melba toast

Melba Toast
SERVES 4 -8 (change servings and units)
Ingredients- 8 slices white bread (I suggest Italian Bread or Brioche) Or you can use a Baggette slice the bagette thinly and toast untoasted sides uppermost, until golden and the edges curl.

Preheat the broiler to high and toast the bread lightly on both sides.

Cut off the crusts and then, holding the toast flat, slide a sharp knife between the toasted edges to split the bread so that you now have 8 slices that are toasted only on one side.

Cut each piece into 4 triangles, and then toast under the broiler, untoasted sides uppermost, until golden and the edges curl.

Alternatively, make Melba toast earlier in the day, and warm for a short time in the oven at 325ºF
Work on Local Food Systems: Went all over looking for local foods for Thanksgiving, found local cheeses and dairy, got local beef roast


Re-Cycle, Re-Use, Re-Duce, Repair or Compost something: Made some more Bel Cloches out of 1 and 2 liter pop bottles; Put garden waste in composter


Learn a skill: Nope


MELINDA'S BUY SUSTAINABLY CHALLENGE: A much better week. Bought cheese from Beechers, a local cheese shop and veggies from Duane’s Garden spot. And The roast beast from B&E Meats here in Burien. All of my holiday food falls in the 100 mile diet. And it is tasty. And I made my cream cheese following Crunchy’s Cream Cheese recipe. Didn’t buy any Christmas presents this week. Or hardware, but I did receive the Programmable thermostat, which I need to install tonight

Beansprout's Make a Christmas Gift Challenge: Coming along on this one. Doing the finishing touches on the gift tag ornaments, made some progress re-upholstering the head board.

Crunchy’s Freeze Yer Balls off Challenge: Still at 55/65. Got my new programmable thermostat for the Dining room/Kitchen and plan on installing it tonight, since I am cooking stock on the stove and baking pumpkin bread.

Sergeant Chile’s Operation Clean Out- Chile inspired me to clean out and organize the spice cabinet. I did that and spent about an hour in the garage, trying to clean that out as well.

No comments: