Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Attack of the Killer Green Tomatoes

Green Tomato Bread- A delicious use for Green Tomatoes

OH MY GOD! WHAT AM I GONNA DO WITH THESE GREEN TOMATOES?
After pulling out my tomato plants, I had a glut of green tomatoes. And as much as I like fried green tomatoes, I can't eat that many. Well through the power of the inter webs, I found some new ideas


NO SUGAR GREEN TOMATO RELISH
Farmgirl fare blog had a recipe for No sugar Green Tomato relish, that is great. Very salsa like and easy to make and process, I found it easy to freeze as well
I followed this recipe on Farmgirl fare blog using only 1/2 cup of the vinegar, Then I froze some of the relish instead of processing it. Great on sausages and pork chops, or on a cracker, or some toast

GREEN TOMATOES AND BELL PEPPERS

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 green tomatoes, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 celery, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in green tomatoes, bell pepper, celery, green onions and apple cider vinegar. Saute until tender crisp, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve on baked potatoes or rice.

Bacon, Lettuce, Fried Green Tomato Sandwich (B,L,FGT Sandwich) And TOMATO TACOS
I make the standard fried green tomatoes and use the FGT in place of ripened tomatoes on a sandwich. And I do the same on a tortilla instead of fried fish or chicken

GREEN TOMATO BREAD
And here is a great idea that allows you to freeze the green tomatoes- Michelle at Cooking with Michelle makes GREEN TOMATO BREAD, making a puree out of the green tomatoes and thus being able to freeze it! Or make the bread and freeze!

1 comment:

EcoCatLady said...

Wow! Those are great ideas! I fear I have an abundance of green tomatoes as a late start combined with a July hail storm set everything back by a few months. I'll have to try some of those recipes.

BTW - if you put the green tomatoes in a paper grocery sack, and make sure to close it securely (I use a clothespin) they will ripen nicely inside.