Tuesday, May 18, 2010

One For Da Guys

Vegetable Skewers on my Wheel of Fire BBQ

I love the gals in these blog post parties, but every once in awhile I think us guyz need to examine our masculine side. No I don't mean grab a beer and scratch something. I mean a manly topic. you know. Grill something. Just in time for Memorial Day and Father's Day!
Below is a grill I made out of a truck tire wheel. I have taken it to BBQ's and beach parties. And it drove over the competition!
IT was easy to make- I just put four "Capita" Furniture legs from IKEA through the holes of the wheel, and tightend them. Then I made an "ash catcher"- First I put a disposable aluminum pie tin to cover the axle hole, and then for the coals, I cut out some hardware cloth. Just measure out the cloth slighty bigger than the wheel in circumfrence, and push it down- this is where your coals will sit. And for topping it of I bought a replacement grill for a Weber BBQ, but you could use those old ones off of those disposable BBQ's as well. And I put a big metal tray on the bottom to catch any ash that might fall through! There you have it- a BBQ Grill that's ready to roll! And it is unique. Perfect for the beach or tailgate parties.




10 comments:

Patina Marie said...

....and you didn't rattle can it Heirloom white!!!!

Love it! Great conversation starter!

Keep joining the parties!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh what a great DIY project. You are one clever and crafty guy.

KayC. said...

What a great idea!

Condo Blues said...

My family went camping a lot. Most of the campgrounds we went to used old tire rims as fire rings.

Veryirie said...

Wow Rob! This is a super project! Great tutorial and thanks! I once made a lighted end table for my daughter with a cracked wheel from her car: (don't ask me how she cracked it) but your grill is kicking the competition! :) http://www.ehow.com/how_5251644_make-end-table-car-wheel.html

Tricia O'Neill said...

Rob....I have some questions for you. Would it be possible to email you directly?

Susie Q said...

Brilliant man and I am NOT going to show this one to my hubby!

Robj98168 said...

Patina Marie- Nope- Natural color for me!

Laura- Awwww Shucks

KayC- Thanks!

Condo- If only I could find a tractor wheel= outdoor fire pit!

VeryIrie-Thanks- Your lamp project turned out way cool... I may have to borrow that one!

Tricia- Sure my email is robj98168@yahoo.com

SuzyQ- Why not????

Cheap Like Me said...

This is cool! I think my husband might like it for a forge ...

Robert Smith said...

Really a great idea, Great conversation here.Thanks for the ideas.