Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fruit Flies and Mosquitoes? Trap ‘em!



I have been inundated with fruit flies. Don’t regularly get mosquitoes, but the fruit flies are irritating enough. After doing some research, I made a few traps… Simply cut a soda bottle into two parts, invert the top part into the lower part. And put in some liquid…

For FRUIT FLIES- Put in ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar to about ¼ cup of water

For Mosquitoes- Add 1 tsp yeast and 1/2 cup sugar to some luke warm water, and pour the mixture into the bottle. Mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide that you exhale. The yeast feeds off the sugar and emits the same gas, so the mosquito enters the bottle, thinking she will find food there.

I am also told would work for wasps with the yeast/water mix. I would think it would work better with a little hot dog piece in there, but who am I to mess with a good idea?


Farmer's Daughter Homesteading Link Up

No comments: